Monday, March 05, 2007

The musical preferences of our little one

We have a situation which I am unsure how to remedy in our house. My child is addicted to a certain rap video. Rap is probably an outdated 90s term and I should probably be saying "hip hop" or "r & b" or something, but I don't know what those things mean so bear with me. My sister sent me an email link to a touching, thought provoking video called "happy birthday" by some group called Flipsyde. (That's like "flip side" for those of you that don't know. I thought it was flipsy de for a while...I'm slow, I know...) Here's the link if you're curious.
http://video.google.com:80/videoplay?docid=3858369431186397914&pr=goog-sl
Anyway, first wrong move was to watch this video with Luke in the room. He loved it. There's kids playing ball in it which of course is a hit because he's crazy about balls, and he stands in our office and dances away, fists in the air, elbows up, bending his knees and grooving. Very cute, the first 5 times. Maybe even the first 10 times. But when he comes up to us approximately 15 times a day, starting to dance, saying "happy birthday" (happy but-day, as he says it) and then pouts if we don't put the video on, there's a potential for things to get ugly. And I have to say, I'm often strong and don't give in and think that maybe having my child watch rap videos over and over again isn't the most normal thing. But sometimes I am weak and think what's the harm and there he goes, dancing away singing "happy but-day", happy as a clam. Usually as it starts he says, yeah, yeah. Like, good move mom, you finally get it. Well, today I was ready to mix things up a bit so we checked out a few of the other videos on the site and there was a video of a girl and a guy lip sync-ing to "Barbie Girl". I don't really know the song and didn't realize it got a little raunchy at times, so we watched a bit and then when I started getting too grossed out I turned it off. Bad move. The boy LIKES barbie girl. He would probably like to be in a barbie world, as long as it involves much dancing. Anyway, I found some other music on our computer, some French pop music, but that was a no go. We finally settled on Lenny Kravitz and he was happy again. Is this normal? Should a 19 month old child have such musical preferences at this age?!? I tried veggie tales but that was met with less enthusiasm. If there's anyone out there that knows of toddler "rap" or "r & b" or "hip hop" I am very willing to take suggestions. Especially if they come on video.

No comments: