Why is it that when Julio goes away things have to be a little more on the wild side. Julio went hunting for 2 days and was quite excited about it and for days before that was talking to Luke about it. So my sweet little two-year-old has been walking around the house saying, I want to go hunting, I want to shoot a big deer! But that's not the wild part.
On Wednesday we had a fairly uneventful day, went to my church's MOM's group in the morning and on the way home I asked Luke what he did. He said, I have snack, I have movie, I have train! And then he told me about all the kids he played with, saying I have Rachel, I have Ethan, etc etc. It's so fun that he's at the age now where he can tell me things. I guess the flipside to that is that he's so aware of what I'm saying I wonder what he'll say to other people. So far there haven't been any scarring events but I'm sure it's just around the corner.
I invited ourselves (me and the boys) to my sister's house for supper on Wednesday evening which was great. But the wildness didn't really happen until Thursday.
Thursday morning started out just great, the kids slept quite well, we got up around 7:30, ate breakfast and then Luke and I proceeded to have a one hour fight about the banana Luke refused to eat right after asking for it. I was ready to call parenting 911 to get some advice. Does anyone have the number?!? I was trying to recall all the clever advice I'd heard lately but it all conflicted...don't sweat the small stuff, be consistent, give them an inch and they'll take a mile, don't force feed kids or they'll have food issues forever...In the end we just hugged and he played in his room for a bit while I did something else. I think we both knew we needed space from each other...and the banana.
Then my friend Colleen came over with two of her kids which was great. The best part was that Nicole ate Luke's banana so I at least felt good that SOME child was eating fruit in my house. I made Luke thank her too which he seemed kind of confused about but did anyway.
All this and it wasn't even 10:30. At 10:30 Colleen had to go and as she was heading out the door my manager with Norwex walked in with her son and a 15-year-old girl she was hanging out with for the day. So Jax and Luke and Michelle had a blast playing while Jill and I talked about Norwex stuff and then I decided to run downstairs to get something from our office. I walked into the office AND A BIRD WAS FLYING AROUND IN THERE!!!!!!! A WHOLE ENTIRE BIRD! I am apparently afraid of birds, I found out yesterday. So I ran upstairs like a little wimp and told Jill and was kind of screeching and saying, there's a bird down there! And so she took control because it was obvious I wasn't going to, and she and her 3-year-old son went downstairs and proceeded to chase the bird from the office, into the recroom, down the hall, it spent a bit of time in the bathroom, and finally (we think, although it was only mostly confirmed by the 3-year-old) flew out the back door while I stood at the top of the stairs holding a blanket over the doorway so it wouldn't come into the kitchen. That was a legitimate bird-chasing role I felt. I told the 3-year-old that his mom was very brave and he said, I know. I told him that he was brave too and he said I know. And then I said, yeah, I'm not all that brave, and he said, yeah, I know. Oh well, you can't win them all. And the whole time I'm thinking to myself, what would I have done if Jill wasn't here? And why does this happen when Julio's away?!? I think I would've just packed us up and moved to my parents' place until Julio came home. I am an official bird wimp.
2 comments:
Thanks for clarifying the whole bird story! Yay for Jill being so helpful. Although, in my head I still like to think it was Ellen conquering her phobia.
Yeah, I wish so too. There is nothing as terrifying as the sound of flapping wings. Welcome to the ornithophobia club. Maybe we can get a discount on group therapy.
Post a Comment