Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Christmas Train...

Tonight felt like a holiday. We ventured out into the cold, drove down Corydon to some lovely property just past the zoo which was transformed into a little winter wonderland. It was beautiful. Arched lights and narrow pathways and bridges and rickety old bikes laying against trees also lit up all leading up to a mini train station run by old men with headsets and loud voices keeping order as hoards of people lined up for their chance to ride the magical winter train. I had Samuel snug against me in a carrier and my jacket around him with a blanket around us both and once he settled into his cozy spot and fell asleep, I relaxed and just took in the crisp winter air and magical feeling that comes with the season and the lights and the people. We went with our friends, Stan and Tricia and their two girls and inched our way closer and closer to the little trains while trying to keep warm and not think about cold toes. The actual train ride was great too. I was grinning the whole time, I think, it went relatively fast and through a couple of tunnels and I was just exactly in the right mood for it all. Luke rode with Julio and I couldn't wait to find out what he thought of it. He talked fast and excitedly the whole way home about it all, so much so that we could hardly understand what he said so I know he had a good time. It was amazing too, because I didn't see one Santa Claus, although Julio said the guy he bought the train tickets from looked a lot like him, but rather a quiet, snowy little nativity scene as we stood in line, Peace on Earth and Christ is Born in lights, and Christmas carols, the kind I grew up hearing in church, on some non-intrusive sound system. It was quite refreshing, to say the least. And then we came back to our house for hot chocolate and poppycock and good conversation with our lovely friends as the two older kids played downstairs and the younger ones stayed with us upstairs and everyone just content as can be. It was truly a blessed night and I already cherish the memory of it.
Here's wishing you enough coldness as you step out your door to make you feel alive and enough warmth as you come inside to make you feel loved as we draw ever closer to the celebration of Christ's birth. Stayed tuned for birthday party news...we are throwing Jesus a birthday party on Monday to celebrate his birth, complete with cheesecake and balloons, and it promises to be a fun-filled day. How else does one explain the meaning of the season to a two-year-old?!?

1 comment:

L said...

That was a beautiful post, Corinna!