Monday, May 26, 2008

A cottage long weekend and other tales

Pictures and stories...
These tulips are in our backyard, no thanks to us. Somehow this year we actually have some really great ones coming up and they make me happy every time I walk out my back door.

Luke and Bear after the Teddy Bear's picnic. Bear got a cast on his leg and the whole medical tent thing was amazing. He first went to triage, then MRI and X-ray, then to the ER for the cast...and then it started to rain so we all (Julio, Samuel, Luke and I) ended up under the DQ ice cream tent for part of the downpour, got free ice cream and then biked home in the rain. The kids were snug in the bike trailer and both fell asleep...Julio and I were exhausted, wet and happy by the time we got home and we sat in the car in the garage while the boys slept in the bike trailer. Definitely a memorable moment!
Our cottage weekend. Not a very eventful weekend, minus a huge tree falling down in a windstorm and seeing some deer and going for a somewhat gruelling but great bike ride. Nice to get away though, and go for walks and relax.

Mini-golf was our one "event" of the weekend as Luke has just started to get more into golf. My sister's girls have a golf set and Luke was playing at their place the other day and managed to loft the ball over the fence into the neighbour's swimming pool! Marcia was so impressed she let Luke borrow the golf clubs for a bit, and he plays with them a lot. When we were packing to go to the cottage he kept asking if we could put his golf "cloves" (rhymes with "gloves) in the trunk too (just like Papa Ron).

He tolerated the golfing shenanigans quite well.

My attempt at a "looking up" shot, inspired by Ellen, who was inspired by her brother Dan. My looking up shot is almost exactly like hers. Let's hear it for creativity!

I love this picture of Julio. I just had to say that.

The infamous tree.

Deer on our cottage lawn.
Deer doing gross things on our cottage lawn.
Cousin cuteness.
Luke and buddy Benjamen. I've taken care of Benny a few times while his mom's been at work and he's such a fun little guy with the best giggle ever. Luke and him have a blast together.
I've started to write down some of Luke's funny stories as I feel like every day he says something to make me smile and five minutes later I forget what it is. So here's a few, to put my memory at ease. (Side note: I read a Maclean's article today about a lady that remembers everything since she was ten. Dates, times, exact wording, every detail...it was evidently not about me!).

Luke: Mom, I need to bring something to Jake's house.

Me: What is it?

Luke: I need to bring Jake a credit card. (???)

And in other money news...
"Josh bought a hockey stick today. It was twenty dollars." (Side note/story: He still talks about Josh all the time. He calls the Josh he talks to at home "pretending Josh". It got a little confusing today when his friend was over and he kept saying "Me and Josh are going to do _____" and I would say, "today you're playing with Benjamen so you can talk about Benjamen" and he'd say, "I'm playing with Josh AND Benjamen". Poor Benjamen must have thought we were hiding another small child somewhere...)

Luke was playing with stackable cups the other day and I let him put water in some and pour them from one to another. All of a sudden he said to me, while he was playing, "Mom, I'm playing with water filters!" (Julio's been talking about installing a water filter in our home lately...)

And as you will see from some of the cottage pictures, we had some excitement while we were there and a tree fell down. We got to see/hear 2/3 of it come down so it was pretty exciting. Later Julio, Kevin and my dad cut a lot of it up and hauled it to the dump with the "help" of Luke and cousin Claire. So, the other day Luke looked outside our front window and said, "We should cut all the trees down!"

And then, the sweetest story of them all. Usually when I put Luke to bed I tell him the story of his day. I start out by saying something like "Once upon a time there was a little boy named Luke." And then I go on to list off the days events. He loves it. So the other night Julio was putting him to bed and was about to read him a story when Luke said that HE had a story. This is how it went: "There once was a BIG man named Julio. (He apparently looked at Julio with a little smile, knowing he was being funny using his real name.) He loved Jesus very much and Jesus took care of him. The end.

6 comments:

kristin said...

Wow, lots of adventures Corinna. I love your Luke stories, I really need to start recording some of Noah and Luke's stories. Luke especially has a very vibrant imagination, this weekend he kept talking about the snow and the 5 bears that he saw in the snow and how he touched their noses and they were soft....he can go on for ages.
PS. I'm jealous of your tulips, the bunnies ate all of ours before they could bloom!

Julie said...

That's a really neat idea, to tell a child a bedtime story about a his or her day. Do you edit out any negative stuff?

L said...

How did you sneak this post in without me noticing? Awesome pics and stories. I see Jesus is prominent in Luke's mind too.

PS: Nasty bunnies ate all my tulip buds too.

Corinna said...

The bedtime story most certainly does get edited. No mention of mommy at the computer playing Scramble while small child goes wild in the rest of the house.
Neve's theology is a little more interesting than Luke's, but we're amused nonetheless!

Kirsten and Philip said...

You're my mother-of-two role model, Corinna. Somehow I have to believe we'll be out having grand outdoor adventures some day too. Right now I'm still trying to figure out how to get out of my pj's before noon :). Always love seeing your little ones (and this time with a bonus Krymusa!)

Corinna said...

When Samuel was really little we didn't have many adventures either. Getting dressed and fed made for a successful day, for sure! I'm really enjoying this stage with the boys, though...Samuel's naps are predictable and he can be entertained while he's up, so we're able to do so much more.