(My gramma, a few years ago, with my nieces Claire and Alexandra)My gramma passed away last night after 85 full years of life. My dad and most of his siblings were there and it was a peaceful passing. It feels good to know that she isn't suffering anymore and that she is living the good life now...Luke has been asking a lot of questions about great-gramma and we've tried to answer them as logically as, what we think, a 3-year-old mind can handle. Here are a few examples:
Me: Luke, great-gramma is going to go to heaven soon.
Luke: What vehicle will she go in?
Me: Well, one guy from the Bible went in a chariot (...explained what a chariot is...) so maybe she'll go in one of those. Or maybe angels will just pick her up and fly her there. I don't really know.
I never thought about heavenly transport before, but Luke is all things vehicles so this was an obvious question. Funny.
Luke wanted to see her on Saturday and I hadn't seen her recently so, because Julio was away, I took the boys, along with my dad, and we went to see her. Luke was completely fine with going and as we pulled into the nursing home parking lot, he said, "Are we in heaven now?" If great-gramma was going there and we were seeing her, maybe we were going to hitch a ride! Funny. Luke did really well when we did see her and went pretty close to her and looked and her and said to me later, "well, her eyes were open!"
Tonight when I was putting Luke to bed I told him that great-gramma was in heaven and he said, "well, when is she coming back?" And I explained that she isn't coming back ever again, that she was going to stay in heaven. And he said, "But is she going to get a new body?" (We had explained that her body was getting old and tired and that she would get a new one when she got to heaven). And I said yes and he said, "so will she run and jump and kick a ball SUPER high and play with God and Jesus?" I sure hope, for Luke's sake, there are many balls in heaven.
And now for part two of this post. I'd like to label this BAD PARENTING - GOOD PARENTING.
Bad parenting, Exhibit A: Sammy, standing on the dining room table, flinging fries and burger boxes around. Bad on many levels really.
Good parenting: Exhibit A: Two boys, simultaneous colouring and developing their creative selves. (Snapshot of a minute later would show Sammy grabbing markers from Luke saying "mah-kuhs" and me taking them away and Sammy throwing a fit. Niiiiiiceeeee).
Good/Bad Parenting/Living: Exhibit B: Truffles. I hosted a gluten-free bake exchange and made a lot of truffles for it. We've made two more batches since. We're not proud of our chocolate addiction, but at least we've admitted to it. That's the first step, right?
Good/Bad Parenting: Exhibit C: Letting Luke lick the bowl. There's no bad in that, is there?!?
Good/Bad Parenting: Exhibit D: Good in that my son is eating highly nutritious (well, kind of) spaghetti. Maybe bad in that he's doing so while watching Baby Einstein so I can make more truffles. The truffles in question were for the required baking for the bake exchange so it wasn't just to feed my glutinous habit, it was to do so for others too. So that's good, right?!?
Good parenting: Exhibit...something. Sammy, dressed in many a knitted vestment, looking his oh-so-keen, cute self, if I do say so myself. I take no credit for the knitting, only in the appreciation of it.
Good parenting: exhibit more: Luke playing outside with good friend, B. The other day Luke and I were playing in the basement (oh yes, once in a while I DO play! Not enough, but sometimes it really does happen!) and Luke asked me if I could call a mommy to come over and I could talk with the mommy and he could play with the kid. So B's lovely mama came over today with baby E and the boys had a blast in the snow and somehow that all felt like good parenting. Good friends, the great outdoors...what could be better?
Questionable parenting, unquestionable cuteness: 3 boys, with sippy cups, snacks, watching a movie which was a series of songs, all about sports, with some choreography and cheerleaders thrown in. Too bad about the cheerleaders, but the rest is really cute. They're 80s cheerleaders so it doesn't really count as bad, right?
While my parenting may be questionable, I have to say, there have been times lately when I really can't handle how much I love those two boys of mine. They make me laugh so much, say such darling things every minute and give the best hugs and kisses...when they want to. I love them, even when I think I'm going to lose my mind with the noise, the cries, the falls, the bumps, the hockey sticks, the whining...oh, oops, I guess you get the idea :). Really, love them, I do.
Me: Luke, great-gramma is going to go to heaven soon.
Luke: What vehicle will she go in?
Me: Well, one guy from the Bible went in a chariot (...explained what a chariot is...) so maybe she'll go in one of those. Or maybe angels will just pick her up and fly her there. I don't really know.
I never thought about heavenly transport before, but Luke is all things vehicles so this was an obvious question. Funny.
Luke wanted to see her on Saturday and I hadn't seen her recently so, because Julio was away, I took the boys, along with my dad, and we went to see her. Luke was completely fine with going and as we pulled into the nursing home parking lot, he said, "Are we in heaven now?" If great-gramma was going there and we were seeing her, maybe we were going to hitch a ride! Funny. Luke did really well when we did see her and went pretty close to her and looked and her and said to me later, "well, her eyes were open!"
Tonight when I was putting Luke to bed I told him that great-gramma was in heaven and he said, "well, when is she coming back?" And I explained that she isn't coming back ever again, that she was going to stay in heaven. And he said, "But is she going to get a new body?" (We had explained that her body was getting old and tired and that she would get a new one when she got to heaven). And I said yes and he said, "so will she run and jump and kick a ball SUPER high and play with God and Jesus?" I sure hope, for Luke's sake, there are many balls in heaven.
And now for part two of this post. I'd like to label this BAD PARENTING - GOOD PARENTING.
Bad parenting, Exhibit A: Sammy, standing on the dining room table, flinging fries and burger boxes around. Bad on many levels really.
8 comments:
Ahhh...you make me laugh Kocbena. I think you should have taken a picture of Benjamen's tantrum before we left your house and then you could have had another Good/Bad Parenting exhibit. It was bad news all around. He had further scream fests in the car on the way home while Emeth slept happily beside him. Benny actually fell asleep in the car saying, "I don't want a spanking when we get home." Ack. We had a long talk later tonight about how we need to go and be happy about going when Mommy says so because when we go to Germany they are not going to hold the plane for us because Benjamen does not want to go for "5 more minutes".
I am exhausted and going to bed.
Sheri-Lee
Sherri-Lee cracks me up!
Totally cute conversations about gramma.
Baby flinging fries and burgers from precarious position: but how CUTE is he while he does it???
baby watching tv while eating: confession - I do that on wednesdays when i only have 2 babies. i make it my easy day. we watch Ellen during snack. the babies like her dancing.
it was all adorable corinna!
Niiiiiiiiccceeee
out of the mouths of babes...beautiful.
(uh, btw, my comment was directed solely toward the Sammy-Marker incident - Glad that everything else is working out too)
Love the pics Corinna, my favorite is the one of Sammy on the table. And I think you're allowed to have truffles, with all the wheat filled treats you're not allowed.
Great post Corinna...very entertaining! I truly should actually write a minute by minute " Mommy does this...Seraiah does that" but it doesn't happen!
I always wondered how you got all that sewing done... speghetti in front of the tv... good idea!
Post a Comment