Friday, March 30, 2007

Frenglish

Non't pas! (Combo of no, don't and pas - as in "touche pas")
That's just one of the things that has come out of Luke's mouth, our little "Frenglish" boy. He can also frequently be heard saying "I want lait" (milk) or "I want banane", etc. Today when we went for a walk it was "hi chat" (cat) and "bye chat". It's a funny thing teaching two languages to a child! Another common "Frenglish-ism" in our house is something I'd love advice on, for anyone out there teaching two languages to a child...often I'll say to him "Dis merci" (say thank-you) and he'll reply in English "hank-you" (a slight improvement from the previous version - "huck you"). Now, do I try to correct him and get him to say it in French or just be happy he gets it? French seems harder to say, he seems to naturally gravitate to English words, but it could just be because he hears more English. "S'il te plait" (please) is another hard one to say and so when he responds to my "s'il te plait" prompting with a "pease" I'm thinking that's good enough for now! I'm actually just so pleased when any French word comes out of his mouth that I'll be happy with whatever I get. Anyway, I just thought the "non't pas" was too cute to not share...

2 comments:

L said...

I'd be happy if Neve spoke in any language - definitely don't think you have anything to worry about!! Cute, smart little boy - and domestic too - he better not be toilet trained yet. You're making me look bad. You have to teach me how to post videos. Love the Geosense link!

Ellen

vermilliong said...

I have a co-worker who is franco-Manitoban (both parents french)and I hear about her 3 children frequently! They are 9 6 & 2. Obviously the 2 year old is just learning. She actually teases with her franglais. The 9 year old usually speaks franglais even though he is in a francais school and mostly french is spoken at home & with extended family & the 'babysitter.
So, not to worry about Luke. He will be just fine. Hopefully Luke & Kennedy & the rest of the siblings will be able to have 'secrets' with each other!