Tuesday, March 06, 2007

pool and an ultrasound


Luke and I went to Robyn's for a bit this afternoon and his new favorite game is "pool". It always goes the same way; he takes two balls, places them at either end of a coffee table, grabs a broom (kid sized preferably although not exclusively) and cues up! I can't figure out if the goal is to get the one ball to knock the other one off or to just hit the nearer ball and try NOT to hit the other one...but in any case, when a ball falls off he nearly always says "shucks". He never says this at any other time, just when playing pool. Goofy kid.
In other news, we had ultrasound number two today! Much fun, minus the one hour/full bladder wait I had before I got to go in. (For those of you wondering why I'm mentioning my bladder, you have to drink a litre of water an hour before an ultrasound.) It's amazing how "good attitudes" are harder to maintain with a full bladder. A lady sitting beside us came an hour early for her ultrasound, and then some kind, worried looking man came up to her and asked if she realized she was so early and she didn't realize she was THAT early, but seemed very okay with waiting for an hour before having her ultrasound. No toddler in sight, by the way. He assured her that he would do his very best to squeeze her in if he could. At this point we'd been waiting nearly an hour. Then, a minute or so later he escorts her in and she smiles away. My full bladder did not allow me to completely take this all in stride and so I inquired (for the second time) as to when they thought I might get in and is there a reason why some people wait and not others? About 5 minutes later or so I went in...
So, the baby looks good from what I can tell! Brain, spine, feet, hands, beating heart...all good signs! She spent an awfully long time on the brain however...that's normal right?!?! Anyway, Julio, Luke and my mom came in after she did her lengthier assessment and Luke surprised me by saying "baby" when he looked at the screen! I could hardly recognize that it was a baby! She showed us the face and it basically just looked like a skull, a bit scary really. I don't remember Luke looking quite so alien like at his ultrasound, but the ultrasound tech seemed smiley enough and unworried looking so we just oohed and awed at the funny face in front of us. When she got to the feet, the baby put one foot right up against the screen like a footprint...very cute! Even the ultrasound tech seemed enamored by that. And then she showed us the legs and the baby had his/her ankles crossed and it was also very cute. Our baby weighs 9 oz right now, which is about the weight of half a block of butter for those of you (like me) who can't visualize ounces. All in all, it was a very exciting day and I'm glad for the second sneak peek!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I finally had a few minutes to play on the computer!!!! I am very excited as I got organized and put everyones blog address in a folder under Favorites. It really was not fun to go back and find old emails that had the address in. Congrats on your next ultrasound. As far as the bladder thing, yes that is not fun. I remember once the tech told me my bladder was too full and to go to the bathroom and count to 20 and then stop. Yeah Brutal! It definately was a bit more comfortable after counting though. What we got through. It's nice we're not alone. Bless you. Missed seeing you guys again at Grandma's but weather wise it was better for us to try to head home. Hopefully soon we can hook up for more than 30 second talks!