Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Morning Sound Farm, Year 2

It was that time of year again, time to travel down to Morning Sound Farm and feel like we knew a thing or two about farm life in front of the kiddos. It was a hot hot day, so this pipe/water fountain was a big hit. I think we have all these same pictures from last year. If you have ever experienced deja-vu, this day was it, in every way. Same Mr. Farmer, same goat?, same milking, same tentative Luke, same eager Sam, same scared sheep about to be sheared, same piece of gross wool that ended up in my pocket for the day, same fabulous friends to spend time with at the farm, same patch of grass for a picnic, same ridiculously large tubes that provided hours of fun for the youngsters, same beautiful, smiley Mrs. Farmer to greet us. I would do it again next year in a heartbeat. Actually, this year was a bit different for me, in that Julio and I dream about one day having a bit of land outside the city, with chickens and maybe a milking cow and homeschooling and eating well and having the kids connect more with nature and their food source. So, I ended up having more interesting conversations with the host family this year, with their very eager 8-year-old son who was passionate about his cows and his homeschooling, farm living, fabulous mom who never has any expression but a smile and a very easy and content way about her. I quite enjoyed our time there this year, and sometimes wonder if that could really be us someday. I think, in reality, not quite...definitely not the 6 kids part, probably not such a big farm either, and seeing as she was raised on a farm, I will probably never be quite as comfortable with such a life as I idealize from my comfortable city home...but it's fun to dream.
Luke did show more bravery this year and actually milked the goat. I always find milking animals a little gross when I'm still nursing. I had no desire to squeeze that poor goat.
Sam, "milking" the goat...in reality, Mr. Farmer was doing most of the work.
The crew of attentive children, enamored by a goat. Gotta love those city kids. :)
The object of their attention...
They had a great sandbox there too.
Chickens...who wouldn't want some in their backyard??
The terrified and submissive sheep.
Feeding a goat. There will just always be something cute about kids and goats. Or, kids and kids, I guess we could say...
" I'm not so sure about all this farm stuff mom."
A good day. Good to drive on a gravel road, to get out of the city, to see animals treated well and freely ranging, to dream...

2 comments:

L said...

Good job on the make-up posting! Better late than never. Looks like you guys had a fun summer. I especially enjoyed your nursing/goat milking comment.

So homeschooling sounds awesome, a little land in the country is appealing, but you lost me at the chickens. Maybe that's just my bird phobia talking.

The kids are adorable...I love the pic of Luke holding Anna in the back of the truck.

Corinna said...

ha ha, come on Ellen, fresh eggs and well, fresh MEAT! Maybe you would like dead birds better. We could invite you over on slaughtering day.
I have a bunch of pictures in folders for other posts, and seemed to have completely forgot about them until you commented...