The big 3-0 has come and gone and all in all it was a great birthday, truly no complaints. My actual birthday didn't start out quite like I imagined, waking up at 7:30 or so with Samuel and having Luke come out of his room, whining for whatever reason, making me feel a bit annoyed (how dare he whine on my birthday!). Anyway, I told him, "Luke, it's mom's birthday today!" To which he replied, "no it's not, it's DADDY'S birthday" in kind of a sassy tone. Nice, thanks. Finally Julio got up, told me to go back to bed and I was able to sleep until 9am, which was beautiful. At about 9am Luke walked into my room and said, "It's your birthday now!" which was ever so generous of him :). Julio had made me breakfast in bed, homemade pancakes and fruit, but it was so sticky and messy that I decided to eat it at the table instead.
("Breakfast in bed" at the table) The rest of the day was filled with lovely birthday calls and emails, a trip to the mall to meet my sisters and parents for lunch and a wonderful dinner out with Julio at a place called Joey's. They had a separate gluten-free menu which was great and I had a ferocious appetite that day which was also great so I ate and enjoyed an absolutely delicious meal. The day was truly great, but after all of my hints at wanting SOME kind of party, I was kind of wondering if this was it. I feel like a complete brat writing that even, and kept telling myself to ease up on the expectations and just be thankful for all the great birthday wishes, etc, and be done with it. But on Friday, the day after my birthday, or birthday boxing day as my family refers to it, I asked Julio, "Is my birthday over?" He didn't really answer directly and I was kind of unsure of what that meant...again, trying to keep expectations in check but also sensing that maybe there was something more there...Anyway, all that to say that on Saturday evening we went to our friends, Jeannie and Trevor's place to play Wii with another couple and when we opened the door there were more people there than I thought I even knew. There were a few people that I hadn't seen in a long time there too, so it was wonderful to chat and catch up with them all, although I would've loved to have broken my party up into about 5 nights to have been able to chat with everyone.
SURPRISE!
Some of the crowd...
And then some more of the crowd...
Colleen and Jeannie, two friends who I've known and loved forever and who are amazing party planners. They teamed up with Julio to make it all happen.
SURPRISE!
Some of the crowd...
And then some more of the crowd...
Colleen and Jeannie, two friends who I've known and loved forever and who are amazing party planners. They teamed up with Julio to make it all happen.Julio had encouraged people give me "30" of something, whether it be words, or M&Ms, or whatever, nothing too complicated or expensive but something unique. One of my favorite "30 somethings" came from my sister Robyn, on my actual birthday. She sent me 30 emails the morning of my birthday, some of which were hilarious. Here are a few links she gave me:
The subject for this one was "my disease is better than yours"
The next was a link to frogger, an old video game we used to have on our atari. Oh the days.
The next had the subject "oh the 80s were good to us" and had this link.
The next: "Here's a nice hobby for you" with this link. She said it was appropriate for a French 30-year-old.
Then there was "birthday addiction for you". Tetris with 6 different versions. Highly addictive.
Those are the highlights. There were also some ultra lame knock knock jokes and she googled each member of my family to see what came up. Julio turns out to have a secret life as a lacrosse star.
So, all in all, expectations were met, Julio is relieved, and I am 30.
So, all in all, expectations were met, Julio is relieved, and I am 30.
I also just wanted to include some pictures of Luke's first time on skates on ICE. It was at hero Josh's house but Luke wasn't as into it as we hoped. Mostly he sat by the fire and watched, but he talked about it later like he was a big hockey star, so at least his ego didn't suffer at all.
Also, we started Samuel on solids this week and he's LOVING it! The boy just eats and eats. So here's a picture and maybe eventually a video, stay tuned...(or don't, it's probably only entertaining to us)

On the ice at Josh's house.
Sammy and I watching.
Luke and, oh my, can you believe it, the one and only, JOSHUA!!!!
1 comment:
I think it's great the Julio's head is safe from deer hunters and any nephews who may or may not have gotten a deer collar for Christmas.
And if you want proof, my disease really is better than Corinna's ... I can eat real bread.
Post a Comment