This could have been a lemon day. First of all, due to unfortunate circumstances, Luke is not yet quite eligible to go to our church's day camp, which is happening this week. He's two weeks too young, sadly. I was somewhat okay with the whole scenario until he saw all the cool props at church on Sunday and heard a church friend get all excited about his week at day camp, and Luke said that he wanted to go too. Then the mother bear in me just couldn't handle him being disappointed for a second and I decided to make this week fun if it killed me. So, Monday was wading pool morning, Tuesday was Gramma Anne Day and Wednesday was going to be "take the bus for the first time ever and go to the Millenium Library" day, with my mom babysitting Samuel so Luke and I could have our own little event. So at 1pm off we went on the city bus for the first time ever. Luke sat very still and was very quiet most of the time, with a few questions here and there. He kept going on and on about this one guy on the bus wearing a seatbelt, when really it was just his bag slung over his shoulder. I was really glad he didn't notice the woman with one partially amputated arm sitting in front of us because she was really sweet and found him so amusing and I shudder to think of what kind of reaction he may have had. Nothing she hadn't heard before I'm sure, as she quickly covered up her missing arm as soon as she saw Luke. That must be so tough. Anyway, here's Luke on the bus - quite the vision of calm, cool and collected, hey?

We arrived at the Millenium Library only to find that it was closed due to a water main break. So with time to kill and the whole downtown in front of us, we made some plans and others just kind of evolved. We walked to Portage Ave., took another bus to the Via Rail station, looked around inside and ended up at the Train Museum. Pretty cool actually, here are a few pictures.


After that, it was a walk to the Forks for some ice cream.

Followed by a trip up to the observation area, where I happened to see a water bus pulling in. I heard they stopped near Corydon somewhere so that decided our next little event!

The water bus! This was my first time on here too, and I've wanted to try this for a long time. It was really pleasant, much better than a bus, in my opinion. Maybe not in Luke's however. He held on to his little life jacket the whole time and after we got off he told me his tummy was sick. Poor guy!

Walking from the water bus dock to Corydon...
And here's our last stop, waiting for our final bus and having a snack. Luke did so well...the day was full of walking and new experiences and he was just wide-eyed, soaking it all in the whole time. He held my hand almost every time we walked anywhere (unusual for him, he's always more interested in running) and was so cooperative. I'm not sure if he was overwhelmed by the experience or truly enjoying it but I'm quite sure that we'll both remember this day for a long time.

I guess you could say that today Luke and I made some lemonade...
8 comments:
I think your lemonade tastes pretty great!
what a great idea to do something like that for him this week!
Sounds like a fun day! I'm inspired to do the same, but we'd probably just copy your day exactly and it wouldn't be spontaneous at all. Good for you for making your own adventures.
Way to go cool mom! My Luke would have definitely rather have done that than day camp. It was a lot of work to convince him to stay all week and he didn't go on Weds at all! We could have joined you!
that sounds like so much fun!
Aww! I loved reading about your adventures! You are a phenomenal mom! Lucky boys:)
Hi Corinna! Popped in to see how things were going and read all about a fun little day with you and Luke! Brought back memories of being downtown at that library with my day care kids when I was in Winnipeg. It was always a great way to spend the morning and they were hilarious on the bus all the time.
Thank you so much for sending readers to my blog! I really appreciate that!
See you around in blog world!
Ali and I had a day trip like this too last spring. She had been wanting to ride a bus for a while so we made an afternoon of it and took the bus to the millennium library too. Only it was open and we spent some time there and brought home a bunch of books. It was most memorable for us too.
Post a Comment